Get coverage for medical needs, travel inconveniences and losses before your next trip.
Get a Quote and Buy
Put in your travel dates and coverage you need
Compare and choose the quote you want
Go to our partner site and buy
What Does Travel Insurance Cover?
Covers medical expenses when suffering from bodily injury or sickness.
Covers accidental death and permanent disablement.
Pay for your legal liability towards others’ accidental bodily injury or property damage together with associated legal costs and expenses.
Pays for the accidental loss of or damage to personal possessions including luggage during the insured journey.
Covers the actual cost of transportation, medical services and medical supplies necessarily and unavoidably incurred as a result of an emergency medical evacuation.
Amateur Sports and Activities
Inclusive cover from both AXA SmartTraveller and Zurich FlyAway Travel Insurance Plan.
Cancellation or Curtailment
Pays for the loss of unused travel fares and/or accommodation expenses which have been paid in advance, due to unforeseeable or unavoidable events.
Rental Vehicle Excess Coverage
Pays for any motor insurance policy excess - Inclusive cover for AXA SmartTraveller | Additional cover for Zurich FlyAway Travel Insurance Plan.
Covers damage of mobile phones - Inclusive cover for AXA SmartTraveller | Additional cover for Zurich FlyAway Travel Insurance Plan.
|a yearly payout made to the policyholder, usually on the policy’s anniversary
|Accidental Daily Hospital Cash
|provides a daily payment during hospital stays to cover loss of income or to pay for additional medical expenses
|the amount of cash you will get back if you cancel a policy early. Also called surrender value or cash surrender value
|Curtailment of Trip
|cutting a trip short
|the person you choose to inherit your policy payout
|the amount that is paid out to a beneficiary when the policyholder passes away. It could be a yearly amount or a lump-sum payment
|the income paid out to you from the savings part of your life insurance policy. This can be guaranteed or non-guaranteed
|an option that allows dividends to build up and earn interest rather than be paid out to the policyholder
|the amount of money you wish to be covered for. This is also called the 'sum insured’ or 'sum assured'
|this is paid out to you from the life insurance part of your policy. The payouts are normally set out in advance
|Income Payment Mode
|you can choose the way you get paid your annual income. The choices are level mode (the same amount each year) or increasing mode (payouts increase each year)
|the total amount of life insurance issued and outstanding. This amount includes dividends paid
|the cash you get back at the end of the policy term
|the fee you pay an insurance company for your policy which goes towards your dividend/income payouts
|the cash left in your policy after any payout has been paid
|some life insurance policies will hold back on a claim if the policyholder commits suicide. Other policies may return only the premiums paid in
|When you cancel your insurance policy early, you will be paid a set amount only. See also Cash Value
Am I eligible for SmartTraveller?
HKID holders from thirty (30) days up to the age of 85 before the inception of the journey who are travelling on a journey that originates from the Hong Kong SAR can insure under SmartTraveller.
If I am going to study abroad, can I be covered by SmartTraveller?
SmartTraveller is specially designed for individuals who are travelling on a journey for leisure or business purpose. The journey should originate from the Hong Kong SAR and the period of travel is no longer than 184 days.
For Insured Persons not returning to Hong Kong, cover terminates no later than 7 days from scheduled time of arrival at the country of final destination or expiry of the original declared period of insurance, whichever is the earlier.
How can I extend the covered period when I am out of town? Can I do it over the phone?
Yes. Please call (852) 2867 8638 (during office hours) for enquiry on arrangements or email firstname.lastname@example.org before the covered period ends. Please provide the following information for the extension of cover period:
- Policy Number/ HKID of Policy Holder
- Contact Number
- Return Date
- Authorize a Visa/ Master Card for additional premium debit
- Card Number, Expiry Date, Card Holder Name
Do I need to pay any policy excess?
There is no excess for the whole policy.
What extra protection can I receive if an Outbound Travel Alert (OTA)# is issued for the planned destination?
You will be protected against the issuance of the Outbound Travel Alert (OTA)# in the following ways:
Before the trip:
- within 7 days before the departure date of the Journey, upon Red OTA#, be reimbursed up to 50% of the irrecoverable deposits or charges paid in advance, up to HK$50,000 (VIP plan) or HK$25,000 (Classic plan);
- within 7 days before the departure date of the Journey, upon Black OTA#, be reimbursed irrecoverable travel-related payments upon cancellation of trip up to HK$50,000 (VIP plan) or HK$25,000 (Classic plan);
- Loss of deposit or cancellation of trip under Red or Black OTA# for the reason of a pandemic is excluded.
During the trip:
- we will automatically extend the period of insurance for a maximum of 10 days if an insured person is unavoidably delayed from returning abroad;
- upon Red OTA#, be reimbursed up to 50% of the irrecoverable deposits or charges paid in advance, up to HK$50,000 (VIP plan) or HK$25,000 (Classic plan);
- upon Black OTA#, be reimbursed the unused irrecoverable prepaid and additional travel-related costs upon curtailment of trip up to HK$50,000 (VIP plan) or HK$25,000 (Classic plan);
#Outbound Travel Alert refers to travel alert issued by the Security Bureau of the Government of Hong Kong SAR for the planned destination.
How can I manage my policy?
Once the application is completed, the policy document will be sent immediately to your email address as provided. Should you have any queries about your policy, you can call (852) 2867 8638.
Is there any age limit?
No age restriction is imposed on travelers in Single Trip Travel Plan while the travelers must be aged 70 or below in Annual Travel Plan. However, please note that only Ordinary Plan can be chosen for any traveler who is (a) aged 17 or below and not travelling with his/her parent or (b) aged 76 or above upon the commencement of the insured journey.
When should I buy the insurance?
As soon as you have confirmed your travel route and destination, you should consider purchasing travel insurance. If the trip is cancelled due to the reasons stated in the policy terms and conditions, you will still get covered in accordance to the policy terms and conditions.
When will I start to be covered?
The Cancellation of Trip benefit for unexpected specified events will commence either after you purchased the travel insurance or within one week before trip commencement. However, any existing or known event/conditions before your successful application will not be covered in respect of the Cancellation of Trip or Travel Delay benefits. Personal Accident cover starts 3 hours before scheduled departure time. All other benefits will commence when you depart from the Hong Kong immigration office/counter.
I am planning for a long holiday abroad. How long does FlyAway Insurance Plan coverage last at most?
This depends on whether you have purchased a single travel or annual travel plan. FlyAway single trip travel plan insures you for up to 180 days, whereas an annual plan has no limits on the number of trips taken within the insured period and insures you for a maximum of 90 days on each trip. You may choose either single travel or annual travel plan depending on your travel needs.
There is a riot at my planned destination. Am I covered if I cancel the trip for safety reasons, even though I have already paid for flights and accommodation?
FlyAway will cover you for any paid and non-recoverable expenses, including air ticket and accommodation fees, if you have to cancel your trip due to an unforeseeable riot break out at your trip destination within one week before the planned departure date.
What kind of sports and recreational activities are covered by FlyAway during my trip?
FlyAway covers all amateur sports activities and even some high risk amateur sports on your trip, including winter sports, hot air balloon, scuba diving, water-skiing, rafting, sailing, parachuting accompanied by professionals, rock climbing, bungee-jumping, and horse riding. You might also purchase our 'Sports Activities Rider' to enjoy a higher limit of protection on personal accident cover.
However, motor racing, self-navigated aerial activities, professional sports, sports engagements which may result in an earned income or remuneration, and any trekking at an altitude greater than 5,000 meters above sea level or diving to a depth greater than 40 meters below sea level are not covered.
Which digital gadgets are covered under FlyAway?
Digital gadgets such as your personal laptop computer, tablet, digital camera, digital camcorder and related accessories or equipment are covered under Personal Baggage Cover within sub-limits, but excluding mobile phone.
However, you might wish to purchase the optional benefit of 'Damage of Mobile Phone' in order to get your mobile phone covered for accidental damage to your mobile phone.
After I took out the policy, my doctor diagnosed me with an illness and told me that I am unfit to leave Hong Kong. Am I still entitled to trip cancellation benefits?
Once you purchased FlyAway, you are covered for the trip cancellation benefits if you suffer from a sudden serious illness or injury requiring hospitalization excluding ‘pre-existing condition'. Your doctor must certify that you are no longer fit to travel, within 90 days before the start date of your trip.
In case of sickness or emergency overseas, what should I do?
You should call Zurich 24-hour Emergency Assistance at +852-2886 3977 immediately. Experienced assistance coordinators will be able to offer you immediate assistance. Do remember to obtain all the relevant documents such as medical certificate and receipt in case of medical claim.
When I am travelling overseas, I would like to stay at my destination for a few more days. Can I extend my coverage period?
Sure. Just give Zurich a call at +852 2903 9400 before the policy expires. They will help you extend the insurance period of your FlyAway single trip travel plan up to a maximum of 180 days.
If you are stuck at an airport due to bad weather or otherwise detained at your destination due to circumstances beyond your control, Zurich may even automatically add a maximum up to ten days to your single travel coverage free of charge.
Am I covered if I cancel my trip because I contracted COVID-19 before my trip?
If you or your travel companion have contracted COVID-19 within 7 days before the departure date, we will cover your loss of unused travel fare and/or accommodation expenses in case of trip cancellation.
What coverage will my FlyAway Travel Insurance Plan afford me if I contract COVID-19 while I am traveling?
If you contracted COVID-19 during the insured journey, we cover:
- the actual medically necessary expenses incurred overseas;
- a daily cash allowance if you are required to undergo unexpected compulsory quarantine;
- Zurich Emergency Assistance benefits which cover COVID-19 during the entire insured journey;
- your loss of unused travel fare and/or accommodation expenses if you have to abandon the insured journey and return to Hong Kong.
We also cover after you returned to Hong Kong for:
- follow-up medical expenses for illness (including COVID-19) incurred within 3 months upon return to Hong Kong;
- compulsory quarantine cash allowance due to unexpected compulsory quarantine by the Hong Kong Government within 3 days upon completion of the insured journey and returning to Hong Kong.
- if you need to stay overseas longer than planned due to any circumstances which are beyond your control and arise after the insured journey has begun (e.g. contracted COVID-19), we will automatically extend your period of insurance up to 10 days free of charge for such a period as is reasonably necessary for the completion of the insured journey.
Once I applied FlyAway Travel Insurance Plan, am I covered if I contracted COVID-19?
We do not cover any loss resulting directly or indirectly from COVID-19 which is diagnosed within 7 days after the enrollment date of the policy (for single trip) / enrollment date of the policy or the date of receipt issued by the travel agent or public common carrier for the payment confirmation of travel ticket or tour, whichever is later (for annual travel).
If I didn’t meet the vaccination requirement of the planned destination or Hong Kong, any impact on the coverage?
You must fulfil the entry rules and conditions including vaccination requirement both in Hong Kong and your planned travel destination(s), otherwise, no coverage of the policy shall be provided, and no benefits shall be paid under this policy.
What information is required for the claim which related with COVID-19?
Please notify Zurich within thirty (30) days of any occurrence which may give rise to a claim:
For claim on medical benefits:
- Original of medical certificate(s) and receipt(s).
For claim on trip cancellation:
- Original of receipt(s);
- PCR test result; and
- Isolation order issued by Department of Health, Center for Health Protection.
For claim on trip curtailment:
- Related original of receipt(s);
- PCR test result OR medical certificate to confirm Covid and unfit to travel within one week before the scheduled return date (applicable to both insured person and travel companion).
AXA General Insurance Hong Kong Limited
- Insured person must be aged between 30 days to 85 years old.
- The maximum duration of Single Journey is 184 days.
- No refund of premium is allowed once the policy has been issued. Please refer to the policy jacket for full exclusions.
Zurich Insurance Company Ltd
- The applicant must be a Hong Kong citizen or resident holding a valid HKID card.
- The applicant must be aged 18 or above.
- The premium must be settled by the applicant's Citi Mastercard® or VISA Card, with the exact same name.
- This insurance plan is only valid for trip departing from and returning to Hong Kong, and only valid for conventional leisure travel or business travel without any manual work.
- Application for Single Travel Plan must be made within 90 days before departure and the maximum period of insurance coverage is 180 days per return trip.
- Annual Travel Plan provides coverage for an unlimited number of return trips departing from Hong Kong within a 12-month period. The maximum period of insurance coverage for each trip is 90 days.
- All travelers under the same policy should either choose for Ordinary or Premier Plan
- Only Ordinary Plan can be chosen for any traveler who is (a) aged 17 or below and not travelling with his/her parent or (b) aged 76 or above upon the commencement of the insured journey.
- The Family Plan covers up to 2 parents in addition to any number of children aged 17 or below. The premium will be equivalent to the premium of 2 Individual Plans. The maximum liability to the whole family for a claim arising from the same cause shall not exceed 300% of the relevant section's maximum benefits.
- For Single Travel Plan, the additional benefit for Personal Accident under Cruise Holiday Benefit for travelers aged (a) 17 or below or (b) 76 or above upon the commencement of the insured journey will be limited to 50% of the Sum Insured only.
AXA General Insurance Hong Kong Limited
- Government acts
- Nuclear hazards
- Lack of reasonable care and attention
- Racing (other than on foot), motor sports or flying as a pilot or crew member
- Activities engaging in sports or games in a professional capacity
- Self-inflicted injury or illness
- Alcoholism or drug abuse
- Pre-existing medical conditions
- Venereal disease, AIDS or AIDS related complex
- Pregnancy, miscarriage of child birth and all complications thereof
- Claims for Medical and Related Expenses (Section 1) and Worldwide Emergency Assistance Service (Section 2) under the following circumstances:
- an event mentioned in the red or black travel alert issued by the government of Hong Kong (except for the reason of COVID-19), unless the Security Bureau has provided exceptional permission for such travel, or unless the journey has been started before the issuance of such travel alerts
- claims relating to the vaccine-preventable disease if prior to the journey (i) the insured person fails to obtain the related vaccine and (ii) such vaccine is mandatorily required by the government(s) of Hong Kong and/or the country/region where the insured Person has planned to travel
- Loss of Deposit or Cancellation of Trip (Section 9) arising from the issuance of the red or black travel alert due to a pandemic before the journey
*The above is only part of the policy exclusions. Please refer to the policy jacket for the full list of exclusions that apply to each section and the entire policy.
Zurich Insurance Company Ltd
- Any event arising from war, act of foreign enemy, civil war, rebellion, insurrection, military force or coup;
- Any pre-existing condition, congenital and hereditary condition; insanity, mental or nervous disorders; any condition under the influence of alcohol or drugs (other than those prescribed by a qualified medical practitioner); alcoholism; drug addiction or solvent abuse;
- Any condition resulting from pregnancy, childbirth or miscarriage, abortion, pre-natal care as well as post-natal care and other complications arising therefrom, venereal disease; suicide or intentional self-inflicted injury; any illness attributable to HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) and/or HIV-related illness including AIDS;
- Any event arising from an act of terrorism, except for and including all relating benefits in the riders for the following Sections: Section 1 - Medical Cover, Section 2 - Zurich Emergency Assistance, Section 3 – Personal Accident, Section 10 - Travel Delay, Section 12 - Cancellation of Trip and Section 13 - Curtailment of Trip;
- Any insured person who is a holder of the People's Republic of China passport and travels to/within China. However, this exclusion will be waived if such insured person has an official document issued by an overseas government (other than China) as proof that he/she is a legal resident of that other country and travelling with a passport of the People's Republic of China;
- Trekking at an altitude greater than 5,000 meters above sea level or diving to a depth greater than 40 meters below sea level;
- Being a crew member or an operator of any air carrier;
- Any activity or involvement of the insured person in the air unless such insured person is at the relevant time (i) travelling as a fare paying passenger on a regular scheduled flight or licensed chartered aircraft, or (ii) participating in such activity where the maneuver or navigation of such activity is responsible by another person who is adequately licensed for guiding such activity and the provider of such activity must be authorized by the relevant local authority.
Promotion Terms & Conditions
Zurich FlyAway Travel Insurance Plan
- The promotion period is from now to December 31, 2024 ("Promotion Period").
- To enjoy the 30% premium discount on the Single Trip Travel Insurance Plan and/or 20% premium discount on the Annual Travel Insurance Plan, customers must successfully purchase the Plan during the Promotion Period through online channel.
- The promotion period is from now to December 31, 2024 ("Promotion Period").
- To enjoy the 30% premium discount on the Single Trip Travel Insurance Plan, customers must successfully purchase the Plan during the Promotion Period through online channel.
- The above information is for reference only and does not constitute any part of the insurance contract. For full terms and conditions and exclusions of FlyAway Travel Insurance Plan and SmartTraveller (the "Travel Insurance Plans") issued by Zurich Insurance Company Ltd and AXA General Insurance Hong Kong Limited respectively (the "Insurance Companies"), please refer to the policy document itself which shall prevail in case of inconsistency. The Insurance Companies reserve the right of final approval and decision.
- The above information is provided by the Insurance Companies.
- You are not required to purchase the Travel Insurance Plans and you may choose to cover your insurance needs from other sources.
- Zurich Insurance Company Ltd and AXA General Insurance Hong Kong Limited are the respective insurance underwriters of FlyAway Travel Insurance Plan and SmartTraveller and are respectively solely responsible for all approvals, coverage, compensations and any other related matters of these plans.
- Zurich Insurance Company Ltd is a company incorporated in Switzerland with limited liability and its principal place of business in Hong Kong is at 25-26/F, One Island East, 18 Westlands Road, Island East, Hong Kong.
- AXA General Insurance Hong Kong Limited is a company incorporated in Hong Kong with limited liability and its principal place of business in Hong Kong is at 5/F, AXA Southside, 38 Wong Chuk Hang Road, Wong Chuk Hang, Hong Kong.
- The Insurance Companies are not subsidiaries or affiliates of Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited or Citibank, N.A. or Citigroup Inc.
- All matters and disputes related to promotions will be subjected to the final decision of the Insurance Companies which reserve the right to amend relevant terms and conditions without prior notice.
- Insurance Companies reserve the final right of approval of Travel Insurance Plans.
- The Insurance Companies are the authorized insurers in Hong Kong and the above information is not intended to solicit business outside Hong Kong.
- The life/ general insurance product mentioned above is not offered to individual resident in the European Union, European Economic Area, Switzerland, Guernsey, Jersey, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican, The Isle of Man and United Kingdom. This page is not intended as a recommendation or an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any of the insurance products to such individuals.
- In the event of any discrepancy between the English and the Chinese versions of the content, the English version shall prevail.
- Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited, being registered with the Insurance Authority as a licensed insurance agency, acts as an appointed licensed insurance agent for Zurich Insurance Company LTD and AXA General Insurance Hong Kong Limited (the "Insurance Company").
- Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited's role is limited to distributing insurance products of the Insurance Company only and Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited shall not be responsible for any matters in relation to the provision of the products.
- Insurance products are products and obligations of the Insurance Company and not of Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited. Insurance products are not bank deposits or obligations of, or guaranteed or insured by Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited,
Citibank, N.A., Citigroup Inc. or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries, or any local governmental agency.
- In respect of an eligible dispute (as defined in the Terms of Reference for the Financial Dispute Resolution Centre in relation to the Financial Dispute Resolution Scheme) arising between you and Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited out of the selling process of any insurance product conducted by Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited as agent for Insurance Company or the processing of the related transaction, you may enter into a financial dispute resolution scheme process with Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited in accordance with the applicable rules in Hong Kong. However any dispute over the contractual terms of insurance products should be resolved directly between you and the Insurance Company.
- All insurance applications are subject to Insurance Company's underwriting and acceptance.
- The Insurance Company is solely responsible for all approvals, coverage, compensations and account maintenance in connection with its insurance products.
- Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited will not render you any legal, accounting or tax advice. You are advised to check with your own professional advisor for advice relevant to your circumstances.
- You are reminded to carefully review the relevant product materials provided to you and seek independent advice if necessary.
- For any policy service enquiries, please contact the relevant licensed bank staff or the Insurance Company.
- In case of any discrepancy between the English and Chinese versions of this document, the English version shall prevail.
From January 1, 2018, the Insurance Authority (IA) will start collecting a premium levy from policy holders of all new or in-force life insurance policies and general insurance policies. For further information, please visit www.ia.org.hk.