Citibank Foreign Exchange Margin Trading is designed for investors who are experienced in foreign exchange investment. Capture any upside potential on foreign exchange market movement with the increased investment power.
We offer a competitive edge of Foreign Exchange Margin Trading with 8 currencies (in total 56 combinations) and up to 15 times leverage of your total deposit. Make the most of opportunities in the foreign exchange markets with Citibank.
Please note that FX investments are subject to rate fluctuations, which may present both opportunities and risks, including the possible loss of the principal amount invested.
- Up to 15 times leverage of total deposit
- 8 major currency choices: USD, AUD, CAD, CHF, NZD, JPY, EUR and GBP, with 28 cross currency combinations
- Click here for Key Facts Statements of Foreign Exchange Margin Trading
Mr. Chan has US$100,000 in Currency Manager and expects USD exchange rate against JPY is on the up trend
A simple rate method is needed in this example. Actual interest is calculated on a daily compounding basis. Hypothetical examples are for illustrative purposes only and are not indicative of actual and/or future performance.
Calculation of Potential Return
Assumption: Mr. Chan square the position after 2 weeks
|Buy USD||= US$1,500,000|
|Balance after 14 days||= US$1,500,000 + (US$1,500,000 x 4.62% x 14/360)
|Sell JPY||= (US$1,500,000 x 120)
|Balance after 14 days||= JPY180,000,000 + (JPY180,000,000 x 1.24% x 14/360)
|Square Position:||Scenario 1 (Profit):
The exchange rate of USD/ JPY rises to 125
|Scenario 2 (Loss):
The exchange rate of USD/ JPY falls to 115
|Sell USD vs. JPY||JPY(US$1,502,695 x 125)
|JPY(US$1,502,695 x 115)
|Total Gain/ Loss||JPY187,836,875 - JPY180,086,800
|JPY172,809,925 - JPY180,086,800
= - JPY7,276,875
|Gain/ Loss in USD||US$(7,750,075/125)
= - US$63,277
Important Information:Important Information:
- The investment decision is yours but you should not invest in the Foreign Exchange Margin("FXM") unless the intermediary who sells it to you has explained to you that the product is suitable for you having regard to your financial situation, investment experience and investment objectives. Your intermediary is under a duty to ensure that you fully understand the nature and risks of the FXM, and that you have sufficient net worth to be able to assume the risks and bear the potential losses of investing in the product.
- Investor's investments are subject to the insolvency and credit risk of Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited (the "Bank"). This product is not an obligation nor guaranteed by Citigroup. There is no assurance of protection against a default by the Bank in respect of payment obligation. In case of insolvency of the Bank, investor may lose the entire investment irrespective of the performance of the foreign currency market.
- FXM is not bank deposit and shall not be regarded as a substitute for time deposit. Investment involves risks, including the possible loss of principal amount invested as well as any additional funds deposited with or called by the Bank.
- Leveraged transactions carry a high degree of risk. The amount of initial margin is small relative to the value of FXM transaction so that the transactions are "leveraged" or "geared". A relatively small market movement will have a proportionately larger impact on the funds you have deposited or will have to deposit. Investor may sustain total loss of initial margin funds and any additional funds deposited with the Bank to maintain position(s). If the market moves against investor's position or margin requirements are increased, investor may be called upon to pay substantial funds on short notice to maintain position(s). If investor fails to comply with request for additional funds within the time prescribed, investor's position(s) may be liquidated at a loss and investor will be liable for any resulting deficit.
- Placing contingent orders such as 'stop-loss' or 'stop-limit' orders, will not necessarily limit losses to the intended amounts. Market conditions may make it impossible to execute such orders.
- Past performance is not indicative of future performance.
- Investors should not rely on the content of this website alone to make investment decisions. They should also read other relevant documents for details including the risk factors. If you have any inquiries, please seek independent professional advice prior to subscription.
- This material is issued by Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited, a licensed bank regulated by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
Important Disclaimer:Important Disclaimer:
The risk of loss in foreign exchange margin trading can be substantial. Investors may sustain losses in excess of their original margin funds. Placing contingent orders, such as "stop loss" or "stop limit" orders, will not necessarily limit losses to the intended amounts. Market conditions may make it impossible to execute such orders. Investors may be called upon at short notice to deposit additional margin funds. If the required funds are not provided within the prescribed time, their position will be liquidated. Investors will remain liable for any resulting deficit in their account.
Investors may therefore wish to seek independent advice before making a commitment to enter into foreign exchange margin trading . In the event that investors choose not to seek independent advice, they should carefully consider whether such trading is suitable in the light of their own investment objectives, financial position and risk profile. Investors should also carefully read the relevant Terms and Conditions. US Persons are not eligible for foreign exchange margin trading account opening and trading.
The facility is subject to our annual review whereupon we will re-assess based on our annual review criteria (as determined by us from time to time) which may include, but are not limited to: your (a) credit history, (b) bankruptcy check, (c) net worth and (d) customer segment (Citigold or Citigold Private Client). You may be required to provide additional information or documentary proof upon request. We may renew the Facility (with the same of different Facility Limit and on the same or different terms) or terminate the Facility.
The bank reserves the rights to liquidate any or all of the eligible deposit or collateral held with the bank and/or set off any credit balance in any of your accounts (or your joint accounts with other person(s)) against any outstanding balances and terminate Foreign Exchange Margin Trading services.