Citibank Foreign Currency Leveraged Investment can help investors increase their investment power by up to 5 times, enabling them to capture any upside potential on foreign exchange market movement. Please note that FX investments are subject to rate fluctuations, which may present both opportunities and risks, including the possible loss of the principal amount invested.
- Up to 5 times leverage of total deposit
- Up to 10 major currency choices for leveraged deposit (HKD, USD, AUD, CAD, CHF, GBP, NZD, JPY, EUR and SGD) and 9 currency choices for leveraged loans (HKD, USD, AUD, CAD, CHF, EUR, GBP, NZD and JPY)
- Flexible tenor from as short as 1 week to as long as 12 months
- Click here for Key Facts Statements of Foreign Currency Leveraged Investment
- Click here for latest Risk Disclosure for Portfolio Financing services
Mr. Chan places a JPY2,000,000 deposit in Currency Manager.
View: Bullish on USD exchange rate against JPY.
Invest in USD to earn higher interest and potential currency appreciation:
Total gain/ loss = Interest rate differential + Currency gain/ loss
Interest rates in this example are for illustration only. Hypothetical examples are for illustrative purposes only and are not indicative of actual and/or future performance.
Calculation of Potential Return
|Scenario 1 (Gain): The exchange rate of USD/ JPY rises to 125||Scenario 2 (Loss): The exchange rate of USD/ JPY falls to 115|
|Deposit Amount||= US$ (10,000,000/120)
|Loan Interest||= JPY10,000,000 x 1.5% x 1/12
|Deposit Interest||= US$83,333 x 2.0% x 1/12
|Total Amount at Maturity||= US$(83,333 + 139) x 125
|= US$(83,333 + 139) x 115
|Total Gain/ Loss||= JPY10,434,000 - JPY12,500 - JPY10,000,000
|= JPY9,599,280 - JPY12,500 - JPY10,000,000
= - JPY413,220
Important Information:Important Information:
- The investment decision is yours but you should not invest in the Foreign Currency Leveraged Investment unless the intermediary who sells it to you has explained to you that the product is suitable for you having regard to your financial situation, investment experience and investment objectives. Your intermediary is under a duty to ensure that you fully understand the nature and risks of the Foreign Currency Leveraged Investment, and that you have sufficient net worth to be able to assume the risks and bear the potential losses of investing in the product.
- Investor's investments are subject to the insolvency and credit risk of Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited (the "Bank"). This product is not an obligation nor guaranteed by Citigroup. There is no assurance of protection against a default by the Bank in respect of payment obligation. In case of insolvency of the Bank, investor may lose the entire investment irrespective of the performance of the foreign currency market.
- Foreign Currency Leveraged Investment is not bank deposit and shall not be regarded as a substitute for time deposit. Investment involves risks, including the possible loss of principal amount invested as well as any additional funds deposited with or called by the Bank.
- Leveraged transactions carry a high degree of risk. The amount of initial margin is small relative to the value of Foreign Currency Leveraged Investment transaction so that the transactions are "leveraged" or "geared". A relatively small market movement will have a proportionately larger impact on the funds you have deposited or will have to deposit. Investor may sustain total loss of initial margin funds and any additional funds deposited with the Bank to maintain position(s). If the market moves against investor's position or margin requirements are increased, investor may be called upon to pay substantial funds on short notice to maintain position(s). If investor fails to comply with request for additional funds within the time prescribed, investor's position(s) may be liquidated at a loss and investor will be liable for any resulting deficit.
- Placing contingent orders such as 'stop-loss' or 'stop-limit' orders, will not necessarily limit losses to the intended amounts. Market conditions may make it impossible to execute such orders.
- Past performance is not indicative of future performance.
- Investors should not rely on the content of this website alone to make investment decisions. They should also read other relevant documents for details including the risk factors. If you have any inquiries, please seek independent professional advice prior to subscription.
- This material is issued by Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited, a licensed bank regulated by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
Important Disclaimer:Important Disclaimer:
The risk of loss in leveraged foreign currency investment can be substantial. Investors may sustain losses in excess of their original margin funds. Placing contingent orders, such as "stop loss" or "stop limit" orders, will not necessarily limit losses to the intended amounts. Market conditions may make it impossible to execute such orders. Investors may be called upon at short notice to deposit additional margin funds. If the required funds are not provided within the prescribed time, their position will be liquidated. Investors will remain liable for any resulting deficit in their account.
Investors may therefore wish to seek independent advice before making a commitment to enter into leveraged foreign currency investment. In the event that investors choose not to seek independent advice, they should carefully consider whether such trading is suitable in the light of their own investment objectives, financial position and risk profile. Investors should also carefully read the relevant Terms and Conditions. US Persons are not eligible for leveraged foreign currency investment account opening and trading.
The facility is subject to our annual review whereupon we will re-assess based on our annual review criteria (as determined by us from time to time) which may include, but are not limited to: your (a) credit history, (b) bankruptcy check, (c) net worth and (d) customer segment (Citigold or Citigold Private Client). You may be required to provide additional information or documentary proof upon request. We may renew the Facility (with the same of different Facility Limit and on the same or different terms) or terminate the Facility.
The bank reserves the rights to liquidate any or all of the eligible deposit or collateral held with the bank and/or set off any credit balance in any of your accounts (or your joint accounts with other person(s)) against any outstanding balances and terminate Foreign Currency Leveraged Investment services.